WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE ABOUT “GOING TO HEAVEN”?
Have you believed sound doctrines or false ones?
Find out how many false doctrines you have believed as you check the scriptures below!
(Answer all the questions here to the best of your ability BEFORE checking the answers from scripture below.)
1. God says that heaven is His _________________________.
2. God says earth is His ______________________________.
3.Complete the correct statements regarding your relation to earth and cross out incorrect statements:
-I am going to earth for the first time when ______________________.
-I have been on the earth since_________________________________________.
-I have no present prospect of ever being on earth.
4.Complete the correct statements about your relation to heaven and cross out incorrect statements:
-I am going to heaven for the first time when______________________.
-I have been in heaven since_____________________________________________.
-I have no present prospect of ever being in heaven.
5.What kind(s) of people have already gone to heaven? Check the correct answer(s):
-all those who have lived and died ( )
-believers who have died and left their bodies behind ( )
–saints (holy ones) living in physical bodies ( )
-all good people who have died ( )
6.How many Bible people do you know of who went to heaven when they died? ( ) Where did the Lord Jesus and the believing thief, who was crucified with Him, go when they died? – heaven ( ) -hell ( ) -paradise ( )
7. How many Bible people do you know of who went to heaven while they lived: ( )
8. How many people do you know of who are in heaven today, whose bodies have never died ? ( )
9. List as many people as you can whom the Bible says were seen on earth 10 years or more after they had been in heaven:____________________________________
10. What person, mentioned in the New Testament, wrote part of our Bible, rejoiced in the fact that his sins were forgiven and yet never went to heaven?_______________
11. Have you talked, today, to any people who are in heaven? If so, how many? (Don’t give name (s), just the number! ( )
12. List biblical THINGS in which you have an interest which are in heaven:__________________________________
13. WHERE (TO WHAT PLACE) do unsaved people go when they die? (Support your answer with scripture, not hearsay!)________________________________________
14. WHERE does scripture say that living believers are located? ____________________
Where are believers located who have died? _______________ Does death change the believer’s location?? __________(Support your answer with scripture, not hearsay!)
(Have you answered all the questions above to the best of your ability? Please do not proceed below until you have!)
WHAT DOES SCRIPTURE EXPLICITLY TEACH ABOUT GOING TO HEAVEN?
1. Heaven is God’s___________________. 2. Earth is God’s_____________________.Isaiah 66:1
3. You and I have been on earth since Adam was created! Just as Levi was in Abraham’s loins (his great-grandfather) and thus paid tithes to Melchisedec (Hebrews 7:9,10 ), so too you and I were here in our grrrrrrreat-grandfather Adam! We did NOT come here from somewhere else, we were created here. Genesis 1,2
4. If you have not been born again, you have no present prospect of ever being in heaven! (John 3:3,5,36)
If you have been born again, you are in Christ. Ephesians 1:3
The following things which happened to Him have happened to you! –you were crucified Gal.2:20 – you died with Him, Rom.6:3-8 – you were raised with Him and – you are seated with Him in heavenly places.(Eph.2:6) Literally “above the heavens”!
5. The only people who ever go to heaven are saints (holy ones) who have LIVING physical bodies! See #7
6. No one ever went to heaven while their body was dead! That’s right!!!! Many have been taught that the thief on the cross went to heaven when he died. But what did Jesus promise Him in Luke 23:43?…. And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.
Where did Jesus say He would go when He died? (to heaven? Or to the heart of the earth?) Matthew 12:40) For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
So where was “paradise” where the believing thief was with the Lord the day he died? ….. “Up” in heaven? Or “down” in the heart of the earth?
7. How many people whom the Bible records going to heaven went there while they lived (NOT when they died)? ALL OF THEM!
People who went or will go to heaven:
(a)Elijah: 2 Kings 2:1,11) And it came to pass, when the LORD would take up Elijah into heaven by a whirlwind, that Elijah went with Elisha from Gilgal…… 11) And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.
(b) The Lord Jesus: Acts 1:10,11) And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven. Ephesians 6:9) And, ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening: knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of persons with him. Colossians 4:1) Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal; knowing that ye also have a Master in heaven. Hebrews 4:14) Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. Hebrews 8:1) Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens; Hebrews 9:24) For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us: 1 Peter 3:22) Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.
(c) The apostle Paul: 2 Corinthians 12:2) I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven.
(d) The apostle John: Revelation 4:1,2) After this I looked, and, behold, a door was opened in heaven: and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said, Come up hither, and I will shew thee things which must be hereafter. And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne.
(e) Believers who were dead in trespasses and sins but are now in Christ have already been:
– quickened (made alive) by God, Ephesians 2:1-5
– raised up by God, Ephesians 2:6 and
– seated by Him with Christ in heavenly places Ephesians 2:6. These are all facts which have already been established in the past. They are our history! Thus our present condition is that we are
– made citizens of heaven. Philippians 3:20) For our conversation (Greek politeuma or “citizenship” ) is (present tense fact NOT a future tense anticipation) in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
(f) The two witnesses of Revelation 11 will be caught up to heaven when they are raised to life three and a half days after they die (not when they die!) Revelation 11:7-12 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them. And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified. And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves. And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth. And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them. And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them.
8. How many people do you know of who are in heaven today, whose bodies have never died ? All believers who are alive today are also in heaven, MILLIONS OF THEM! (Ephesians 2:6)
9. People seen on earth 10 years or more after they’d been in heaven?: –Elijah Matt.17:3; Jesus John 3:13; Paul II Cor.12:1-7
10. What person mentioned in the New Testament, wrote part of our Bible, rejoiced in the fact that his sins were forgiven and yet never went to heaven? DAVID! See Acts 2:29-34 (Job’s hope was to stand in the latter day upon the earth and to see his living Redeemer. Job 19:25-27. See the prospect that was set before other Old Testament saints in Isaiah 26:19-21 –i.e. to awake from the dust, and Daniel 12:13 -i.e. to rest and stand in their lot at the end of the days.) None of them was ever told they would “go to heaven when they died” nor did any of them have such a hope!
11. If you talked to the Lord Jesus, or to any born again believers, you have talked with people who are in heaven!
12. There are many things in heaven in which every believer has an interest!
–our reward Matt.5:12
–treasures we have laid up there Matt.6:20
–a building of God, an house not made with hands II Cor.5:1
–the hope laid up for us in heaven (and which we may enjoy right now!) Col.1:5-7
–a better and enduring substance (Heb.10:34) which allows us to take joyfully the spoiling of our earthly goods,
–an inheritance Eph.1:11 & I Pet.1:4 (The greater part of this inheritance which is reserved in heaven for us is to be enjoyed right now! Since we are seated with Christ in the heavenly places, we have access to it! Aspects of the inheritance which we may enjoy right now include: – everlasting life Matt. 19:29 ; salvation Heb.1:4; God’s promises Heb. 6:12; the blessing of God I Pet.3:9. The only portion of the inheritance we cannot enjoy, until our bodies are transformed at the coming of the Lord, is the kingdom of God. “Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God.” I Cor.15:50,51
13. To what place do unsaved people go when they die? To hell. Luke 16:23-31
14.Where are living believers located already? In heavenly places! (Literally “over the heavens”) Heaven is God’s throne (Isaiah 66:1) and Christ is seated at the right hand of the throne (Heb.12:2) and we are seated with Him (Eph.2:6) So death does not change the believer’s location. It only delivers him from the hindrances of a mortal and corruptible body! II Cor.5:6-9
If people go to heaven when they die or when the Lord comes, can we enjoy our inheritance today?_____________________
If people go to heaven when they live (Eph.2:1,6) or when they come to God, (I Peter 3:18), can we enjoy our inheritance today?_____________